Monday, May 18, 2009

Science: The Muslim's Friend





Bismillah ir-rahman ir-rahim

Assalaam alaikum

Subhanallah, one of my favourite things about Islam is how it is not pitted against science in some competition. We go off this crazy belief that if Allah hadn't wanted science then... it wouldn't exist. To me, science is a little gift Allah gave us to try to help us understand His world better.

The end? Hah, not quite. The Qur'an and even Hadith (words and sayings of the Prophet (SAW)) are just FULL of science. It's incredible.

Let us start with an example from our humble Prophet Mohammad (SAW). Abu Huraira narrated (according to Bukhari, volume 7, book 71, number 592): "
I heard Allah's Apostle (SAW) saying, 'There is healing in black cumin for all diseases except death.'"

Now, for the sake of argument, let us suppose that the Prophet (SAW) was speaking in hyperbole, though we cannot know for sure. Accordi
ng to the Kitchen Doctor (http://www.kitchendoctor.com/articles/blackcumin.html), black cumin is one of the most curative things you can find in your pantry. It has the most spectacular results with asthma and allergies (especially when used in conjunction with garlic), and has been known to preemptively destroy future cancer cells (the process by which the body does this is complex--you can read about it at the above link).

At the very least, it couldn't hurt to try, right? Black cumin hasn't ever hurt a soul! The way I see it, I would try a natural remedy before putting poison in my body. But who am I?

Moving along...


Moving back, actually--way, way far back to the origins of the universe. According to a handy little book I have, the common theory today of cosmology, is that at one time was a cloud of "smoke" (an opaque, dense, and hot gaseous composition). Scientists today
can observe how new stars are formed by thick, smoky clouds. Allah has told us in the Qur'an:

"Then He turned to the heaven when it was smoke..."(Surah 41:11)

Over time, this smoke separated and formed what we have now: Big Bang, anyone?

"Have not those who dis
believed known that the heavens and the earth were one connected entity, then we separated them?..." (Surah 21:30)

This stuff only gets better. True, these particular ayahs (verses, for the sake of my meaning, but the actual meaning is more complex) don't seem particularly convincing to my point, but there are more.

The Holy Qur'an has verses pertaining to the seas as well. As we know nowadays thanks to modern science, when two seas (including oceans) meet, between them is a barrier of sorts. This barrier makes it so that the separate bodies of water have their respective salinity (saltiness), temperature, and density (according to Principles
of Oceanography page 92-93). For example, there is a place where the Atlantic Ocean meets with the Mediterranean Sea. The Mediterranean is warmer, more dense, and more salty that the Atlantic.

What I am trying to explain is that even though in the big picture, they can still be viewed as one body of water, scientists have discovered the the waters to not mix and they are made distinct by their separate temperatures, etc (in spite of how interesting I find this all, science is not my forté, which is why I am having a hard time expressing myself).

Anyhow, in the neighbourhood of 1500 years ago, the Qur'an was revealed to say: "He has set free the two seas meeting together. There is a barr
ier between them. They do not transgress." (Surah 55:19-20). That one is a bit more blunt.

There are so many examples of this kind of thing in both Qur'an and Hadith, but I am going to wrap it up with two of my favourites and implore you to just google "Qur'an Hadith and science" if you don't know a lot about it already.

I studied psychology this past semester (the science kind, not the Freud kind), so I found this one particularly interesting.


This following ayah is found in the Qur'an referring to someone who would not allow the Prophet (SAW) to pray at the Kaaba (a building that pred
ates Islam which Abraham (AS) built--it what Muslims face when we pray).

"No! If he does not stop, We will take him by the naseyah, a lying, sinful naseyah!" (Surah 96:15-16)

I know your next question: what in the world is "naseyah"? Well, it is the word in Arabic that refers to the front of the head.

This may seem like strange wording. Specific wording, too. Why not the face? Why not the back of the head? The head in its entirety? Well, modern neuroscience can shed some light on this. According to the books Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology and The Human Nervous System the prefrontal area of the brain (at the the front of the head) is associated with motivation and aggression, and it is involved with foresight to plan and initiate both good and sinful behaviour.

Lastly, the Qur'an has a few things to say about human development in the womb.

"We created man from an extract of clay. Then We made him as a drop in a place of settlement, firmly fixed. Then We made the drop into an ala
qah, then We made the alaqah into a mudghah..." (Surah 23:12-14)

Okay, so let's decode this. So we can see so far from what we understand of English that the fertilized egg becomes "firmly fixed" to the womb. But what is this alaqah business?

The word alaqah has three meanings in Arabic: leech, suspended thing, blood clot. These are all appropriate descriptions of a baby at this point of its development.

Let's take leech. Below is a picture of a fetus at the alaqah stage (left) and a leech (right).

There is a pretty goo resemblance, but of course a baby is not a leech. The description goes beyond mere appearance. At this stage of development, the fetus gets its nourishment from the blood of the mother, as a leech gets its nourishment from the blood of... any ol' human.

Taking alaqah to mean "suspended thing" refers to how the embryo is suspended in the womb
of its mother. Attached to the uterine wall, of course, but suspended, as demonstrated in this picture.

The third meaning of alaqah--blood clot--refers to the large amount of blood inside the baby at this time. Also, the blood does not circulate in the embryo until the third week, essentially making it like a clot of blood.

Then th
ere is the mudghah stage. What does mudghah mean? In Arabic is means "chewed substance." This simply refers to the appearance of the fetus at this stage of its development (see left).

Today, this science is obvious. We know all these things commonly, or many of them. The incredible thing is that this sort of thing was not known at all 1500 years ago when the Qur'an came into existence. Mohammad (SAW) had never seen a developing baby, nor did he know what area of the brain controlled motivation to do malevolent deeds, etc etc. This, subhanallah, is one of the most important things that brought me to Islam. To me, this was proof that the Qur'an came from Allah, from God. No man almost 1500 years ago could have known things like these. I hope you can appreciate the beauty of this science. Alhamdulillah!

8 comments:

sara said...

Hey, Amina - It's Sara K. I was so excited to get your e-mail! I'm still sifting through your blog, but overall, I just wanted to tell you that I really respect you for your decision; doing what you want, even if it seems too big to other people, is really inspirational. Best wishes and I can't wait to start reading. :)

Amina said...

JazakAllah Khair, Sara. I hope you enjoy the blog, inshallah.

Sarah V. said...

I think it's very interesting how you're tying science to your religion. I know this gets pretty argumentative in the Christian faith with the theory of evolution, but you bring up a good point overall. Go back to the source of your religion (in your case, the Qur'an) and read what has been written and draw your conclusion from that.

Very interesting!

Amina said...

Sarah--

The question of evolution is debated in Islam as well, but there is nothing that specifically says one way or the other. I have my opinions on it, but I really don't find the issue to be all that important--we're here now as humans. I really don't care how we were before.

It is all very interesting, though.

Unknown said...

hum, I didn't understand it well, my english has lot of lack. But are you part of Sunnit or Chiit? (I took it from the french, so I don't know how it is in english)
I believed Sunnit were just traditional, following the texts, and Chiit are for revelotion, and are the one who debate around islam and try to think of everything (the last free university would have been closed in Iran after their revolution in the 70's)...

Amina said...

Clovis: I am just Muslim. The Qur'an says: "Those who divide themselves into sects do not belong with you. Their judgment rests with GOD, then He will inform them of everything they had done" (Surah 6:159). Technically, you could call me "sunni" because that means "follower of sunna," ie: the sayings of the Prophet (SAW) as reported by 'Aisha (his most beloved wife), Abu Bakr (his most repected friend), among others who were close to him, and I follow sunna. However, I would never call myself Sunni Muslim. I am just Muslim.

Anonymous said...

I like the black cumin cure! It sounds delicious as well as keeping me away from Western medicine, which I think is for the most part, horridly unhelpful. I think using natural remedies is a great idea. I know I turn to ginger before protanix when I have an upset stomach.

Also, I like the verse (Surah 41:11) about how heaven was smoke. It sounds similar to what was said in the Jewish creation story about how the "Earth was formless and void." (Genesis 1:1-12) but with an added bit of information. Formless and void sounds like smoke to me.

I find the part about the oceans and the development of the fetus fascinating also. The Qu'ran had quite a bit of science that could not have been known when it was written.

That being said, I am a person who believes in all paths to G-d. I have chosen Judaism as much as Judaism has chosen me and I will follow that path, but I find yours a wonderful and admirable path as well. I believe that G-d gave us many religions because humans have a tendency toward uniqueness. One religion does not fit all sensibilities and it would be boring if we ALL followed Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism... or any number of world religions. If we had to pick one, that would ruin what makes the world so wonderful. Variety is the spice of life.

I will not, however, go around telling people that "you can believe what you want but Judaism is the right answer" because religion is NOT science and there is no one right answer. Only YOUR right answer.

Also, Reform Judaism makes it a point not to argue with Science. Unfortunately, we don't go out of our way to coexist with it either. Which causes some tension between our scholars...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm Caitlin B!